By J. Tenney
First released in 1988. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa corporation.
Read Online or Download A History of 'Consonance' and 'Dissonance' PDF
Best composition & performance books
Wake up and working with Propellerhead cause 2 very quickly! The professional authors commence through explaining easy methods to set up and organize this system on a Mac or computer after which stroll you thru each separate cause equipment with hands-on tutorials. no matter if you're a new person or a more matured cause musician, you'll find out find out how to get the main from the musical phenomenon that's cause.
'Keeping time', besides inventive accentuation and clever phraseology, is vital to winning musical functionality. Rhythm on my own had hardly been the topic of specialized research till the past due 19th century, whilst numerous books in this subject via Rudolf Westphal have been released in Leipzig. Westphal's paintings encouraged Charles Francis Abdy Williams's 1911 e-book that's reissued right here.
This energetic and lucid creation to the philosophy of track concentrates at the concerns that light up musical listening and perform. It examines the conceptual debates proper to the knowledge and acting of track and grounds the philosophy to sensible concerns all through. perfect for a starting readership with little philosophical history, the writer presents an outline of the important debates enlivened via a true feel of enthusiasm for the topic and why it concerns.
- Music and the Crises of the Modern Subject (Musical Meaning and Interpretation)
- You can write a song
- How to Listen to Modern Music: Without Earplugs
- Basic Music Theory, 4th ed.: How to Read, Write, and Understand Written Music
- The Oxford Handbook of Music Revival (Oxford Handbooks)
Extra info for A History of 'Consonance' and 'Dissonance'
12. Morley, op. , p. 141. 13. Jean-Phiippe Rameau, Treatise on Harmony (1722), translated by Philip Gossett (New York: Dover, 1971), p. xli. 14. , p. xlii. 15. James W. , Indiana University, 1964), p. 25. 16. , Allen Forte, in Tonal Harmony in Concept and Practice (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1962), says u p . 16-17): "In music the terms consonant and dissonant have nothing whatsoever to do with the pleasant or unpleasant quality of a sound. -and in whose view? This was certainly not the view of the major theorists who first formulated the concepts and practices of tonal harmony.
Contains in its first divisions those consonances which together form a perfect harmony. l 1 and about which he had said, in an earlier passage: .. all properties of.. sounds in general, of intervals, and of chords rest finally on the single, fundamental source, which is represented by the undivided string.. " In one of his later theoretical works (Dimonstration du Principe de l'tiarmonie, 1750), he says: The sounding body, which I justly callfitndamental soundthis unique principle, generator and arranger of all music, this immediate cause of all its effects-the sounding body, I say, no sooner resonates than it engenders simultaneously all the continuous proportions from which are born harmony, melody, the modes, the genres, and down to the least rules 68.
The different names the seventh receives in inversion come only from its being compared with sounds other than the fundamental. 22 Even here, the word 'dissonance' refers to an individual note, not to an interval, since it (the seventh) "receives the name of the interval it forms.. ," and this is confirmed even more clearly in the passage immediately following the one just quoted from the Treatise.... a dissonance may reside only in the sound which is compared to the source. This truth becomes even more patent when we consider that the rules about preparing a dissonance by syncopating it and resolving a dissonance by making it descend affect only the upper sound of the seventh, and not the lower sound which is the source..
- Keyness in Texts (Studies in Corpus Linguistics (SCL)) by Marina Bondi and Mike Scott (Editors)
- No Safe Haven by Kimberley Woodhouse, Kayla Woodhouse